If you are studying anatomy and physiology and have missed a class or need some extra help with a particular system, you can buy each body system individually.
The Anatomy and Physiology of the Digestive system including; film, workbook, online assessments, supplementary notes and self assessment questions. (FHT CPD Value = 2 Points) Price £9.50
Read the statements and then decide whether it is true or false
1. The job of the digestive system is to break down food so that our bodies can use it as fuel or energy.
2. Your stomach is located right behind your belly button
3. The large intestine is responsible for removing water from the undigested food, turning it from a liquid paste to a solid waste
4. The oesophagus is a muscular tube that carries food from our mouth to our stomach
5. Everything we eat is completely digested and used by our bodies
1. What is inside your stomach that helps break food down to a thick liquid paste?
a) water b) acids and enzymes c) villi
2. What are the tiny finger like projections called that are inside the small intestine?
a) oesophagus b) arteries c) villi
3. After the food leaves the stomach it goes into which part of the digestive system ?
a) oesophagus b) pancreas c)small intestine d) large intestine
4. What is removed from the undigested food when it is in the large intestine?
a) water b) nutrients c) energy d) sugar
20 Test Yourself Questions on the Digestive System
1) Which of the main food groups starts to be broken down in the mouth by salivary amylase, carbohydrates, fats or proteins? Oesophagus to stomach
2) What sort of muscles make up the oesophagus - cardiac, smooth or skeletal?
3) How much absorption takes place in the oesophagus - a little or a lot?
4) The stomach contains hydrochloric acid which not only kills bacteria but helps change pepsinogen into pepsin in order to aid digestion. Which is the main food group broken down by pepsin, carbohydrates, fats or protein?
5) What is the liquefied food called that leaves the stomach?
6) Into which part of the small intestine does this food go - the duodenum, jejunum or ileum?
7) The stomach also contains intrinsic factor. Which vitamin is reliant on intrinsic factor for its absorption - vitamin A, B12 or D?
8) The stomach contains gastrin. Is this an enzyme or a hormone?
9) What are the three parts of the small intestine called?
10) Which agent has already started to break down carbohydrates and where does this first occur? 11) Which agent has already broken down protein and where?
12) Which major process takes place in the small intestine, absorption, secretion or elimination? 13) What gives the small intestine such a large surface area?
14) Which substance emulsifies fat?
15) Is the liver on the left or right of the body?
16) What is the main function of the gallbladder?
17) What are gallstones?
18) Name the three parts of the large intestine.
19) What is the main function of the large intestine, secretion, or absorption?
20) Which 2 vitamins do intestinal enzymes synthesize? a) K and B b) K and D c) B and D
True or False Section 1. True 2. False 3. True 4. True 5. False
1. b) acids and enzymes 2. c) villi 3. c)small intestine 4. a) water
9. duodenum, jejunum, ileum
10. Salivary amylase in the mouth
11. Pepsin in the stomach
16. Store bile
17. hardened lumps of cholesterol, bile pigments and calcium
18. ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon
20. K and B produced by large intestinal bacteria
Gill Tree Training
Anatomy and Physiology on-line course
"I'll be sad when this anatomy and physiology course is over if I'm honest, I'm loving it!"
- Sally Hansen -
GM Tree Training Ltd
5 Clumber Drive
Somerset BA11 2LG
T: +44 (0)203 553 1060
© 2021 GM Tree Training Ltd, All rights reserved