From this list, note the respiratory disorders:
deep vein thrombosis
high blood pressure
sickle cell anaemia
1. Which one of the following statement is true? a) Respiration is the uptake of O2 by the cells b) Respiration is the exchange of O2 and CO2 between the cells c) Respiration is the same as breathing
2. In which part of the lungs does gaseous exchange take place?
3. Why does O2 diffuse out of the alveoli into the blood, while CO2 diffuses out of the blood into the alveoli?
4. Which of the following carry de-oxygenated blood? a) The pulmonary artery b) The pulmonary vein c) A major artery d) The superior vena cava
5. Fill in the blanks: - a) ___________ keeps the trachea almost non-collapsible b) The first branch of the trachea leading to the lungs is the ______________ c) The _____________ covers the outer surface of the lungs and lines the inner surface of the ribcage d) For inspiration to occur, the diaphragm and _____________ muscles must ______________
6. An accumulation of waste products in the blood (ie CO2) would cause the breathing rate to increase or decrease (Think logically!)
7. The following statements are true or false; if false give the correct statement: -
a) Diffusion is a process of gaseous exchange from a low concentration to a high concentration b) The bronchioles contain smooth muscle allowing them to increase or decrease their diameter c) The nose plays little part in the respiratory system d) After gaseous exchange, O2 travels in the blood to the heart via the pulmonary veins e) The trachea prevents food entering the airways
Asthma , bronchitis, common cold, emphysema, influenza, laryngitis, lung cancer, pleurisy, pneumonia, sinusitis, tuberculosis (TB)
4. A and d
5. A) – Cartilage b) - Bronchus c) – Pleura d) – External intercostals, contract
7. A) False, b) True, c) False, d) True e) False
"I am really enjoying the course and can’t wait to get home every day to carry on with it"
- Matthew Millan -
© 2021 GM Tree Training Ltd, All rights reserved