The digestive system is one of the 12 systems in the body taught in our anatomy, physiology and pathology course.
It is important for all therapists to understand, not just nutritionists as the digestive system can be affected by many therapies including massage (which can relieve constipation for example) and reflexology.
Here is a quick quiz on the anatomy, physiology and pathology of the digestive system;
Absorption, Gastrin, Secretion, Intrinsic Factor, Ingestion, Hydrochloric acid, Pepsinogen, Motility, Mucous.
1 Protects stomach lining
2 Transport of water, ions and nutrients from the lumen, across the epithelium and into the blood.
3 Changes into pepsin in stomach acid –the enzyme that breaks down protein
4 Delivery of water, enzymes, mucous, ions, etc. into the lumen; delivery of hormones into blood
5 Important for absorption of vitamin B12
6 Increases secretion of gastric juices; increases motility of tract; relaxes pyloric sphincter
7 Generates acid environment; kills bacteria
8 Contractions of smooth muscle in the wall of the tube that crush, mix and propel its contents
1. The job of the digestive system is to break down food so that our bodies can use it as fuel or energy.
2. Your stomach is located right behind your belly button
3. The large intestine is responsible for removing water from the undigested food, turning it from a liquid paste to a solid waste
4. The oesophagus is a muscular tube that carries food from our mouth to our stomach
5. Everything we eat is completely digested and used by our bodies
1. What is inside your stomach that helps break food down to a thick liquid paste?
a) water b) acids and enzymes c) villi
2. What are the tiny finger like projections called that are inside the small intestine?
a) oesophagus b) arteries c) villi
3. After the food leaves the stomach it goes into which part of the digestive system ?
a) oesophagus b) pancreas c)small intestine d) large intestine
4. What is removed from the undigested food when it is in the large intestine?
a) water b) nutrients c) energy d) sugar
"I am delighted to have passed and greatly appreciate the support and flexibility that you have given me during this extended process of study. Thanks also for the guidance and resources - it has been a really excellent and thorough learning experience and I will be giving you 5 stars on the evaluation "
- Karen McMinn -
© 2021 GM Tree Training Ltd, All rights reserved